Guidelines for being part of diaspora*’s community
diaspora* provides every kind of creature - regardless of age, body size, disability, ethnicity, gender identity and expression, level of experience, nationality, personal appearance, race, religion, or sexual identity and orientation - the opportunity to connect in a decentralized social network. To help all of us to have the best possible experience on diaspora*, we envision a community which interacts respectfully.
diaspora*’s concept of a decentralized network allows no banning of members. Considerate interaction based on the ideals of the diaspora* community is therefore crucial to the wellbeing of this network.
As the diaspora* community, we stand together against any kind of discrimination and exclusion. We don’t accept communication based on principles of chauvinism and nationalism. We disapprove racist remarks and downplaying of historic and current fascist violence. We oppose any kind of exclusion and the related structural and physical violence.
Stay calm, and be excellent to each other!
How to do this?
- Use welcoming and inclusive language.
- Be respectful of differing viewpoints and experiences.
- Gracefully accept constructive criticism.
- Show empathy towards other community members.
- Avoid sexualized or violent language and imagery, and don’t give unwelcome sexual attention or make advances.
- Don’t troll, post insulting or derogatory comments, or attack other community members.
- Don’t harass people, either in public or in private!
- Give people the benefit of the doubt. You might be wrongly interpreting what they have said.